Technical Director Peter Batten and Geologist Alex Johnston having Wasim Leg (wash his legs) ceremony performed by Chief Meri’s from Mateomon Village. An important ceremony when entering new areas. Performed to allow the ancestors of the local people to recognise new people entering their land.
Samples derived from programmes are returned to the site office and then transported to Buka from where they are freighted to internationally accredited laboratories, generally, but not necessarily, in Australia. This requires customs and quarantine certificates and clearances and the samples are subjected to heat treatments in quarantine in the country of delivery. As progress is made at any site within the application area some samples will be sent for whole rock analyses and petrological studies to enable the Kalia geologists to form a view as to the genesis and source of any mineralisation encountered.
As in all exploration the progress of work is results driven. To this end the programmes of Kalia/Toremana’s applications are predominantly traverses and greenfields exploration. Allowance for line cutting and gridding and track development assumes that some sites will progress beyond the initial exploration phase. Kalia aims to employ local (Tore) contractors to undertake any ground engaging work that is undertaken, preferably from within Toremana.
2018 Work Plan
- Complete land owner access agreements and other corporate related matters in Bougainville.
- Form and deploy 4 geology exploration teams.
- Establish a base in Bougainville that will include a site office with power and internet and accommodation, workshops and storage facilities.
- Availability of own vehicles on site within Q1 2018.
- Be prepared to drill in 2018 should results indicate the opportunity by either purchasing drill rigs or establishing a contracted drilling base should contract drilling be found to be more cost effective.
- Contract social mapping specialists to prioritise areas of interest.
- Engage environmental studies for establishment of baselines focussed on areas of interest.
- Contract aerial survey specialists to survey entire area.